to Prepare and Import VMT's Data into VMP
Overview & a Prerequisite
- The Import process copies
Vehicle Maintenance Tracker's ( VMT ) data for Vehicle
Maintenance Plus( VMP's ) use. That is, VMT's' data will be copied and become
VMP's data. It copies VMT's
Vehicles, Providers, Tasks and Maintenance History Data.
- Receipt data will import
correctly only if Vehicle Maintenance Tracker ( VMT )
version 1.44 has been installed and launched on
your mac prior to the import.
- If VMT version 1.44 ( either the direct from BrilorSoftware
or the Apple Mac Store ) is installed and previously launched
on your mac, you can commence the import process.
- if a VMT version older than 1.44 is installed, the 1.44
version must be downloaded and launched BEFORE
commencing the import process.
- If needed, please download VMT 1.44 from the same provider
( either BrilorSoftware or the Mac App Store ) as your
current VMT version.
- VMT version 1.44 automatically and silently upgrades its
databases to allow VMP to import the receipt data.
- After the import
completes, VMT's data remains intact and available for VMT's
- The Import overwrites VMP's
current data, if any.
- The import does not have
an undo, so be careful.
import requires and requests permission to access your VMT
data. This is part of step three below.
- Some post-import steps are necessary because VMP
requires owners and VMT's imported data does not supply them.
See the Post-Import Steps
below for details.
Step by Step
- Step 1: Pick VMP's "Import VMT Data…" menu item
- Step 2: Read the instructions and warnings on the next panel
and press the "Next Step in the Import Process" button to
- Step 3: Select VMT's data folder named "BrilorSoftware".
- The panel should automatically select it, if it exists.
- Its location for Mac App Store users is: /Users/YourUserID/Library/Containers/com.brianstevens.VMT/Data/Library/Application
- Its location for shareware users is: /Users/YourUserID/Library/Containers/com.brilorsoftware.VMT/Data/Library/Application
- Note the panel's instructions
- Press the "Choose" button to grant permission and continue
- Step 4: After the Import finishes successfully, a panel will
appear. It might have messages about overwritten files.
- Remember the Overview's warning ( above ) about overwriting
VMP's files? These messages are reporting which files ( if any
) were overwritten.
Press the button at the bottom of this panel to conclude the
Post-Import Steps( AFTER the Import )
- A vehicle must be assigned an owner within VMP. Since
VMT's imported data does NOT have owners, the
following steps are required to connect the imported data with
the correct owners:
- 1. Owners must be added to VMP. Choose VMP's
"Add/View/Delete Maintenance" tab and from the "Owner" popup
menu pick the "Maintain Item List…". This opens another panel
which maintains a list of owners. Add your owners in this
- 2. After adding the owners, the vehicles must be connected
to their owners. The vehicles were imported, so go into each
vehicle( via the "Add/View/Delete Maintenance" tab and
"Vehicle" popup with "Maintain Item List…" ) and change its
owner. To do that, double click a vehicle to populate its data
at the top of the panel, select the owner ( in the middle of
the data on the right ), and press the "Change" button. Repeat
that process for all vehicles.
- 3. The imported maintenance history data is not connected to
any owners, so it must be updated with owners too. The
vehicle panel ( via the "Add/View/Delete Maintenance" tab and
"Vehicle" popup with "Maintain Item List…" ) automates this
update with a push button. Double click a vehicle on the
vehicle panel to populate its data at the top of the panel and
the "Update Vehicle Maintenance History" button should
activate. Press this button to update all the maintenance
history for this vehicle. A confirmation panel will request a
press of the "Update Maintenance History with the
vehicle's new owner'" button when it appears. The confirmation
details which vehicle and owner are involved in the update.
Repeat the process with each vehicle ( double-click the
vehicle and push the button ).
This panel requests confirmation to perform a maintenance
This panel appears when the Maintenance History update